The fish catch record book is a document regulated by the Law of Fishing and it has to be issued together with the area licence by the organization entitled to fish on the particular water.
The fish catch record book is numbered and it has got the same form for anglers having either yearly or day fishing licence.
The aim of the fish catch record book is – besides the record of caught fish – to have more detailed information about caught fish and anglers’ habits on Lake Balaton.
Moreover, the fish catch record book helps fishing guards’ job.
We know that keeping records in the fish catch record book is an extra task for anglers. However, we hope that it does not cause a problem for honest anglers.
Please read the instructions carefully before recording the data.
Thank you for your help and understanding.
Fishing on Lake Balaton and its water system is performed by Balaton Fish Management Non-Profit Ltd.(1 Horgony street, Siófok, 8600). Anglers on Lake Balaton must be aware and keep the stricter local Balaton Fishing Regulations in addition to the valid state regulations. Not knowing the rules means no exemption from the consequences.
The rules of fishing are firstly controlled by the Act XLI of 1997 and relating regulations. Secondly, Balaton Fishing Regulations reflecting local specialities must also be kept. Thirdly, there are some unwritten ethical rules which should not be broken either.
Our rules promote the real aims of fishing: fair catch of fish, careful treatment of the fish caught; as well as spending free time in a useful, relaxing and healthy way. Besides these, we have tried to establish a set of rules which can provide a solution to the common problems of anglers on Lake Balaton, tries to protect the fish stock of the lake and only minimally limits the fair, sportsmanlike anglers.
1. The angler is obliged to be familiar with the Act CII. of the year 2013 and the MRD (Ministry of Rural Development) Statute No.133/2013. (XII. 29.), as well as the Balaton Fishing Regulations before proceeding with the angling and to observe those throughout the angling.
2. In case of violation of the Act CII. of the year 2013 or the Statute 133/2013. (XII. 29.) MRD, the area ticket will be withdrawn in each case, but may be withdrawn in case of violation of the Balaton Fishing Regulations as well!
3. In case of flagrant or repeated contraventions, the culpable angler can be prohibited from purchasing a Lake Balaton area ticket for a longer period of time. For further information on contraventions and the sanctions imposed, please visit our company's website. In this case, after the expiry of the prohibition of fishing on the lake you can get a new regional ticket ticket exclusively at the center of Balaton Fishing Management Non-Profit Ltd.
4. By purchasing an area ticket, the owner gives consent for the audio/video recording of his/her angling activities by the fishing guards performing their duties. The recordings will be handled in accordance with legal regulations.
5. It is illegal to fish using live bait, dead fish slice or artificial bait and to keep asp, pike, Volga zander, perch and zander between 1st March and 31st March.
6. Fishing is allowed only from the shore between 1st and the 30th of April. It is prohibited to fish from a craft (including sailing ships, boats, etc.), watersports equipments (kayak, canoe, surfboard, etc.) and bathing equipments during this period. With the exception of the following two approved areas of the northern shore, where angling is allowed only for peaceful fish within 50 meters distance from the shore reeds, in the period between 06:00 h and 19:00 h. For those angling out of watercrafts or fishing platforms it is PROHIBITED to store lures, baitfish, fishslices in their vessels and on the platform as well as to use them for angling! Furthermore to retain any asp, pike, catfish, Volga zander, perch and zander in the above-mentioned periods is also PROHIBITED!
- On the northern coast of the eastern basin of Lake Balaton: from the Peremarton Anglers Association’s ( Peremartoni HE) harbor entrance of at Balatonkenese (47 ° 02'21,5 "N; 18 ° 04'15,9" E) to the Aszófő-creek estuary at Balatonfüred (46 ° 55'55,4 "N; 17 ° 51'36,1 'E);
- On the northern coast of the central and western basin of lake Balaton: from the Bozsa Anglers Association’s (Bozsai HE) harbor entrance at Örvényes (46 ° 54'39,6 "N; 17 ° 49'45,2" E) to the border point situated at 150 meters south from the Petroleum Industries Sport Fishing Association’s ( Kőolajipari Sporthorgász Egyesület) harbor at Keszthely (46 ° 43'24,3 "N; 17 ° 14'48,2" E).
7. There is a general fishing prohibition from 15 April to 15 June southwards from the Bambi-bridge on the Keleti-bozót-csatorna (46°44'09.0"N 17°33'54.1"E) and southwards from the Kéthelyi-bridge (46°39'58.8"N 17°24'49.0"E) on the Nyugati-övcsatorna, (including the Cigány-csatorna, Sári-csatorna and the Határ-külvíz-csatorna). It is prohibited to stay on and at the bank of the upper mentioned water bodies, in possession of any kind of tackle which is suitable for fishing. It is allowed to fish on the stretches between the mentioned bridges and the inlets of the mentioned channels to Lake Balaton, but it is not allowed to keep any carp or catfish.
8. It is prohibited to fish intentionally for any kind of fish, which is below the size limit (in case if the species is protected by size limitation) or which is protected by closed season at the date of the fishing, even if the angler releases the fish! If the angler catches such fishes repeatedly and unintentionally, he/she must switch for another fishing method or fishing place.
9. It is illegal to fish at night (between 10 pm and 4 am) from a craft (including sailing ships, boats, etc.) between 1st November and 31st March. This restriction is not placed on shore fishing.
10. The angler who has purchased an adult area ticket may use at the same time two rods and one baitfish net which is not bigger than 1x1 meters. For adult anglers the daily quota of the species protected with a size limit is 5 pieces altogether but no more than 3 pieces of each species or 10 kilograms of each species. When the 10 kg limit is over with the particular fish caught – it can be kept but that species cannot be fished on again that day. In case of species without a size limit a total quantity of 10 kg per day is allowed to catch.
11. The angler who has purchased a junior area ticket may use at the same time one rod and one baitfish net which is not bigger than 1x1 meters. For junior anglers (between 14 and 18 years) the daily quota of the species protected with a size limit is 3 pieces altogether but no more than 2 pieces of each species or 10 kilograms of each species. When the 10 kg limit is over with the particular fish caught – it can be kept but that species cannot be fished on again that day. In case of species without a size limit a total quantity of 5 kg per day is allowed to catch.
12. The angler who has purchased a children’s area ticket may use at the same time one rod and one baitfish net which is not bigger than 1x1 meters. For children anglers (under 14 years) the daily quota of the species protected with a size limit is 1 piece. In case of species without a size limit a total quantity of 3 kg per day is allowed to catch.
13. Adult anglers owning an annual area ticket are allowed to keep a total of 100 pieces of the species under number-restriction, junior anglers 50 pieces, while child anglers a total of 20 pieces in the course of the year. If the yearly quota is reached, it is possible to purchase an extra area ticket.
14. You are allowed to catch fish enabled for only one day by the regulations when you have a 24-hour area licence.
15. You are allowed to catch fish enabled for only three days by the regulations when you have a 72-hour area licence and you must keep the daily limits according to the regulations.
16. Angling from vessels classified by navigation regulations as recreational crafts or from a vessel belonging to a higher category (with a registration number) is allowed exclusively while owning a general area ticket! Anglers possessing an annual coastal ticket have the possibility to purchase an additional daily general ticket.
17. By derogation from Act CII. of the year 2013 and the MRD Statute No.133/2013. (XII. 29.) regulations considering size limit, in case of the fish caught in Lake Balaton and its water system the following size limits apply: carp: 35 cm, zander: 35 cm, asp: 45 cm, pike: 45 cm. In their prohibition period, the catfish are protected regardless of size!
18. By derogation from Act CII. of the year 2013 and the MRD Statute No.133/2013. (XII. 29.) regulations considering bag limits, only one piece of asp can be kept per day.
19. It is PROHIBITED to keep any carp measuring more than 70 cm from the tip of the nose to the base of the caudal fin! The angler is obligated to release the fish (after potentially taking some quick photos) gently and immediately.
20. Of zander measuring more than 70 cm from the tip of the nose to the base of the caudal fin it is allowed to keep one specimen per day. The angler is obligated to release any subsequently caught zander measuring more than 70 cm (after potentially taking some quick photos) immediately, in a gentle way.
21. Of pike measuring more than 75 cm from the tip of the nose to the base of the caudal fin it is allowed to keep one specimen per day. The angler is obligated to release any subsequently caught pike measuring more than 75 cm (after potentially taking some quick photos) immediately, in a gentle way.
22. The smallest catchable size of perch is 15 cm, of which it is allowed to keep a maximum quantity of 2 kg per day. (The perch is not included in the annual quota of 100 pieces, but it counts as other fish in the daily allowed maximum of 10 kg of other fish caught.
23. It is PROHIBITED to keep any burbot (Lota lota) caught in Lake Balaton and its water system.
24. It is compulsory to log in the fish species marked with code numbers in the angler's diary must by using the corresponding code number (1-10)
25. In case of angling with alive or dead baitfish or fish slices only the use of single hooks is allowed! By the practice of this fishing method it is PROHIBITED the use of double and treble hooks in order to protect undersized fish.
26. On the Kis-Balaton only one specimen of a raptor fish protected by a bag limit (asp, pike, catfish, volgazander, zander) can be kept per day.
27. Within 50 meters distance from the bridge on river Zala in Zalavár you may fish only by using a single hook, furthermore IT IS PROHIBITED to fish with the spinning method.
28. Trolling is allowed only with one rod kept in your hand.
29. If you want to take the fish caught in a legal way and protected with a size limit you have to kill it before leaving the angling spot in a quick and humane way. It is illegal to transport living fish.
30. It is illegal to replace or release the fish caught and put in a keepnet, on a string or on a metal keeper later. You have to release the fish you want to immediately after the catch.
31. It is strictly illegal to sell or financially barter the fish caught.
32. The catch can not be given away at the shore and the fish intended to be kept can only be stored in one’s own fish storing equipment ( fish stringer, keepnet, etc.)
33. In case of fishing for more days in a row, the angler is allowed to keep in his possession at most the amount of fish that can be kept for 2 calendar days (eg. at most 6 pieces of zander) in the watercraft used for fishing or at the angling place, in case if the angler has caught these fish in compliance with the catch limits and he had booked these in the catch diary.
34. It is prohibited to keep the fish in any kind of keepnet or cage made of metal or wire!
35. The carry in/drop the rig angling method can only be practiced by owners of an a special area ticket for carry in/drop the rig angling method (annual, weekly or 72 hours ticket) and by following the regulations regarding the method. These are covered in a separate chapter and can be found on the annex of the mentioned tickets and on our website (www.balatonihal/behuzoshorgaszat). Carry in/drop the rig angling is a fishing method whereby the angler gets his rig in its place by using a device (i.g. boat, feeding boat or other authorized watercraft), or he takes his rig to its place without casting it, by walking in or swimming in the water. Angling by wading in the water, then casting the end tackle is also considered carry in/drop the rig angling while the the average water level of Lake Balaton is above 80 cm (www.hydroinfo.hu).
36. The tackle is considered guarded and supervised in the following cases:
a) The angler is staying within 50 meters of its tackle and at the signal of the bite alarm he can begin to play the fish;
b) The angler is on the water to play the fish, or to release it, or feeding the swim, or to carry in the tackle (if he/she disposes of the authorizing ticket)
37. Use of a bait boat is prohibited unless the angler has purchased an area ticket which entitles him for carry in/drop the rig angling and he has checked in validly.
38. The whole basin of Lake Balaton is a waterway is suitable for navigation. Bearing this in mind, the angler may not make any claim of compensation from the driver of the watercraft in case of any damage occuring to his equipment due to the watercraft. The angler – especially who is practicing the carry in/drop the rig method – can minimize the possibility of damage by using the available technical solutions, e.g. line sinkers.
39. On the day of the fish stocking it is PROHIBITED to angle within 200 meters from the area of the stocking.
40. It is compulsory to light the angling spot at night and in poor visibility.
41. Angling and boating within the protected areas marked with yellow buoys is prohibited! The list of the appointed areas can be found on www.balatonihal.hu website.
42. It is compulsory to keep the local port regulations! In case of violation of the port regulations, the area ticket may be withdrawn!
43. It is illegal to destroy or damage aquatic plants, plants on the shore or the shore protecting objects.
44. It is illegal to process the caught fish on the angling spot or in the boat until the end of angling.
45. It is illegal to start or continue fishing if there is rubbish on the spot. It is compulsory to leave the angling spot clean after fishing.
46. You are not allowed to reserve an angling spot except for the piers with official permission and the privately owned lakeside properties.
These regulations are valid from 1st February 2018.